Thursday, June 14, 2018

Post Braces and Retainer Care - (Part 6)




These are retainers like the ones I wore (I couldn't find a picture of mine). After getting my braces removed, I wore these 24/7 except for two events: eating and brushing teeth. After my braces were removed in August, I was instructed that I'll have to wear them all the time for six months, after which I would receive wire retainers and wear those only at night.

Plate retainers, for the most part, are hassle and problem-free! The only tricky part is figuring out how to insert them before and after a meal. You either have to leave the room or find a way to remove them discreetly before meals. And the inverse of that, of course, is finding a way to put them back in after the meal. Sometimes, it may be awkward or impolite to step away to put your retainers in, and then by the time you remember, several hours have past and you kick yourself for succumbing to societal pressures and not putting your retainers in before!

A couple of weeks later, I had an Orthodontic visit with Dr. Scanlan. I took some more impressions, reviewed a color sheet for my retainers, and spoke briefly with Dr. Scanlan. The retainers took about  3 weeks to make and will be the permanent wire retainers that I wear at night.

My permanent wire retainers!



These permanent retainers have a plastic plate that covers the upper gum and a metal bar that comes in front of the teeth. The lower retainer is a metal bar as well but has a smaller plastic plate portion. I choose the color Fuchsia-Glitter. Since I'll only be wearing them at night, I figured I could spice them up a bit :)


At this point, I also had a visit with Dr. Parworth. He wanted to check up on my progress. He was especially interested in puffy tissue (swelling), bite placement, and the degree of feeling I was experiencing in my lower lip and chin area. Since this was about 7 months after my jaw surgery my Dr. Parworth was excited to know that I had complete feeling in my lip and minimal tingling in my chin area.


Summary of Orthodontic & Jaw Surgery Journey

Condition: Mandibular Prognathia (Genetic Underbite)
Months in Orthodontic treatment: 30 months
Braces on Date: March 2014
Braces off Date: August 2016
Jaw Surgery Date: May 10, 2016

Orthodontist: 

Timothy Scanlan, TS Orthodontics
4 Vanderbilt Park Dr #110
Asheville, NC 28803
(828) 254-4602


Oral Surgeon: 

Larry Parworth, Rockcliffe Oral Surgery
4 Medical Park Dr
Asheville, NC 28803
(828) 255-7781

Dentist: 

Haley Mann-Gottfried, Gottfried & Mann Dentistry
1415 Patton Ave
Asheville, NC 28806
(828) 254-9692




No comments:

Post a Comment