Thursday, June 14, 2018

My Journey with Braces - (Part 1)


My Journey with Braces

I have had an awesome journey with braces! Some of my friends tell me about their experiences with orthodontics and I am absolutely astounded at the lack of professionalism and proper care that they have received.  My experience had been entirely positive and pain-free and I attribute all of that to my exceptional orthodontist Dr. Scanlan at TS Orthodontics, and to following almost all of the recommended instructions (more on the “almost” in a bit).


I was 18 when I finally had my first set of braces installed, and was I proud of them! I knew that it would be a journey. I was prepared to accept any complications or setbacks because the final outcome was all the incentive and motivation that I needed.


Orthodontic Procedures

The orthodontic procedures that I went through were pretty normal. I wore spacers for 1-2 weeks before the brackets, studs, and wires were actually put on. Once the braces were installed, I had regular bi-monthly appointments where Dr. Scanlan would cut the extra wire off and re-tie with different colors. I went through several rubber band routines that helped adjust and position certain teeth.


After Jaw surgery




Perhaps the most out-of-the-ordinary procedure was the closure of the spaces where two of my baby teeth used to be. For some reason, two of my baby side teeth (I think they were premolars/bicuspids or something like that…) didn’t fall out when I was younger and there were no adult teeth underneath. After about a year of orthodontic treatment, the pressure and movement of the surrounding teeth began to push them up. So, Dr. Scanlan recommended that I have them removed. I was initially concerned but he reassured me that lingering baby teeth are actually more common than it may seem. Removing the baby teeth would also be a longer lasting and more economical choice than the alternative of having implants. After the baby teeth were removed, I had a large gap on either side of my lower jaw - which would have been far more embarrassing than it was if I didn't have braces on. So to close the spaces, Dr. Scanlan first had me implement a special rubber band routine and then later installed some cool springs that helped to close the gap. Another perk of removing the baby teeth was, it helped to pull in my lower jaw.


Before Braces - Notice my jaw alignment.
 

Wisdom Teeth Removal

While I had braces, I had all four of my wisdom teeth removed simultaneously. I don’t exactly remember if there was a specific complication but Dr. Scanlan recommended that I have them removed since they had already ruptured. Dr. Scanlan recommended that I consider RockCliffe Oral Surgery. The removal was event free and Dr. Parworth was astounded at how fast the sockets healed up. I was relatively back to normal within 3 days with minimal medications. Yes, aside from the procedural anesthetics, I did not take any of the pain medications. I did take the antibiotics, because, well that's just smart!

I'll be chronicling my experience about my orthodontics and jaw surgery in the next few posts. So if you or someone you know is getting braces or undergoing jaw surgery, I hope my experience is helpful to you!


Disclaimer:
I am not a healthcare professional in any way, sort, or form. I am only sharing my personal experience and would recommend that you consult a healthcare professional before entering into or following any course of action mentioned here or otherwise.



No comments:

Post a Comment