Thursday, June 14, 2018

Braces Off! (Part 5)




In mid-May 2016, my braces were removed! Before I went in, I sat in the car and took a good look at my braces. I observed the brackets, the wires, the hooks, the colored bands, and I tried to capture a visual and mental image of exactly, every detail. I tried to memorize the feeling and experience because I knew that I would never have them again - or shouldn't!







The entire office seemed so excited about my teeth! As the assistant was working on removing all the appliances, the receptionist kept buzzing in out of the clinical area remarking how "beautiful' and "pretty" they were. After the assistant was finished removing all the braces, and Dr. Scanlan has drilled the glue off and polished my teeth, they told me to brush my teeth before the photo. Then I had to do the red carpet walk as a part of the TS Orthodontics Tradition :)





Everyone was so excited to see my teeth! I wasn't sure what to expect so, I tried to remain objective. When I first saw my teeth, I was first surprised at how white they were, (I didn't get a cleaning before my braces were installed, and the cleaning I did get after they were installed were unable to get behind all the wires and hooks to clean them very well)! Then I was shocked at how "long" they were. My teeth are not especially long, but I had always perceived them to be shorter than they were, so to see them in actuality was enlightening. I began to brush my teeth. And there really is no way to describe the feeling: the way that a toothbrush covers the entire surface area of each of your teeth, it's amazing!

There they are - wires and brackets!



After picture: You can see I was really into brushing those teeth! 


A couple days later I went back into Dr. Scanlan's office to try on my retainers. When I first put the retainers in, it hurt a lot because in those few days. My teeth had already shifted and brought them back into place hurt. But the pain went away after a couple days and it felt fine. I had seen my Dentist (Dr. Haley Mann) the day before, and she told me to ask Dr. Scanlan about some spaces in between my teeth. When I did, Dr. Scanlan informed me that those are there because of the space that the brackets used to fill and should close up with the retainers within six months. He said that if they did not close up, then he would switch to a different kind of retainer that would close the spaces (UPDATE: The spaces did close so we stuck with the original retainers).





I am having mixed emotions about having my braces off. It is nice to have the freedom to bite into anything, not have to worry about food being all over your braces and be able to see your teeth when you smile, but I did form just a teeny tiny sentimental attachment to them.

Since I had such a positive experience with Dr. Scanlan, and his staff, and the entire orthodontic experience was so positive for me, I felt a tinge of sadness as I saw them lying there on a sterile napkin. I had such a positive experience with my braces, and I even looked forward to all of my visits! I couldn't wait to get new wires, or rubber bands, and colors! Now, I'm was going to be done with all of that and I'm going to miss it. I still have a few more visits though, so I don't have to begin mourning just yet.


Summary of Orthodontic & Jaw Surgery Journey

Condition: Mandibular Prognathia (Genetic Underbite)
Months in Orthodontic treatment: 30 months
Braces on Date: March 2014
Braces off Date: August 2016
Jaw Surgery Date: May 10, 2016

Orthodontist: 

Timothy Scanlan, TS Orthodontics
4 Vanderbilt Park Dr #110
Asheville, NC 28803
(828) 254-4602

Oral Surgeon: 

Larry Parworth, Rockcliffe Oral Surgery
4 Medical Park Dr
Asheville, NC 28803
(828) 255-7781

Dentist: 

Haley Mann-Gottfried, Gottfried & Mann Dentistry
1415 Patton Ave
Asheville, NC 28806
(828) 254-9692



Final Verdict
I could not be more pleased with the results!

No comments:

Post a Comment