Thursday, June 14, 2018

Eating Vegan with Braces - (Part 4)



Eating with braces is really not any different from eating normally. I had normal braces so obviously if someone had a special orthodontic appliance other than normal wires, eating might be affected. But for the most part food and braces are pretty chill! I do have some challenges with biting into whole things like sandwiches, burritos, hard chips, to name a few.

Two foods specifically that I tried to eat but decided early on never to attempt again were whole apples and of course, corn on the cob. Not only is the process of eating them insanely laborious and disappointing, but getting the food remnants out from between your teeth, and brackets, and wires, is just a highly problematic and exacerbating experience. So I always cut my apples into slices and cut the kernels off corn cobs. Popcorn is also another thing I try to avoid, it’s too much of a hassle...

Most of the time, a simple rinse, and swish from my water bottle cleared all the remnants from between my wires and teeth. In fact, after awhile, I didn't even stress about checking my mouth after eating something. You get adjusted to the natural feeling of what a clean mouth feels like and can gauge whether you need to keep your mouth shut and rush to a mirror to clean your teeth - or not.

Some people think that your food options become drastically limited or perceive having braces as having all kinds of dietary restrictions but basically, if you're conscientious and careful while you're chewing, you should be fine.

Also,  just follow your orthodontist's recommendations :)

Soft, non-chewy foods for after adjustments: 

  • Applesauce
  • Yogurt 
  • Smoothies
  • Enchiladas
  • Scrambled eggs/Scrambled tofu
  • Your favorite soup (Minestrone or Potato-Leek are my favorites)
  • Mashed potatoes and gravy
  • Pancakes and applesauce



Disclaimer: 
I am not a healthcare professional in any way, sort or form. I am only sharing my personal experience and would recommend that you consult a healthcare professional before entering into or following any course of action mentioned here or otherwise.

No comments:

Post a Comment